When you dance, your purpose is not to get to a certain place on the floor. It’s to enjoy each step along the way— Wayne Dyer


Can't let go.....

Yes, I admit it, I am a serial killer - of orchids!!!!
There, I said it!
The fifth set is dying out on me.
I love the buggers and am thrilled by the sight of these dainty blossoms in my home.
first batch : died due to overwatering
second batch : died in spite of watering as required
third batch : died after I re-potted them into a bark mix, after getting good instruction from several youtube videos and reading up online how-to literature.
fourth batch : reason unknown
fifth batch : even fertilized as recommended
Each time I buy at least two plants in the hope that at least one of them makes it into its second year with me.
By now I know most of the basic rules of growing these dahlings, where am I going wrong?
I water them once a week or so, allowing them to completely dry out between waterings. I keep them in indirect sunlight as suggested. I have tried sphagnum moss and bark mix as the medium for cultivation.
Why won't they live on and happily bloom?
(In) significant other is disgruntled about my craze to keep buying and my inability to keep these plants thriving. 'Stop fussing about your orchid and spend some of that time on 'our kid' , says he!
Everytime I go up and down the stairs and catch sight of these beauties sitting on the landing, I feel a lump in my throat. Please live on dearies....

1 comment:

  1. Sujatha - when I lived in North Carolina, there was a place which, for a fee, would 'board' your orchids in a climate controlled greenhouse environment, take care of them for you, and then call you just as they started to bloom! You would then keep them in your house for the blooming period and then when the blooming ended, you would take them back to the Orchid place. First I thought this was stupid, then when I tried to care for one myself, I realized when such places exist :-)

    ReplyDelete