When you dance, your purpose is not to get to a certain place on the floor. It’s to enjoy each step along the way— Wayne Dyer


Next time, on time?

I am conciously making an effort at being on time. But, at the risk of sounding unscientific, it seems like certain things aren't meant to be!
A few anamolous occurrences of the past few weeks -
I plan well in advance and get DD and myself ready well before time. I put an enthusiastic, profusely babbling toddler in her car seat and get into the driver's seat thinking I am going to be on time and boom - unexpectedly she throws up - clean up time - 20 minutes.
I had a training at work couple of weeks ago for which I had to be in at work quite early, after dropping DD off at day care. I requested her dad to drop her off, who always has something more important, more critical and very urgent regardless of my crises. I conceded and started well in time to factor that in. I get pulled over and am cited for a speeding violation. I was doing 40 in a 30 speed limit zone- it's a busy street and I was going at average speed of the traffic around me. But hey, I was chosen for the lucky prize. I was so aghast I rattled off a big speech to the traffic cop. Never knew I had it in me. In this country, I know I won't be beheaded for speaking my mind. As long as one remains within the boundaries of decency and respect, you can vent your frustration even to someone in a position of authority. Of course certain situations don't render themselves to this exercise.
What really rankled me was not so much that he actually gave me the ticket, but that he was so stubborn and inconsiderate of my explanation of the situation. I asked him how come they ( police) are never around when reckless drivers are making dangerous, unannounced turns and lane changes, when people are zooming at 80 in a 40 zone, when left turn signals are mistaken for a through light - I almost had a collision with a moron who did that when I was making my rightful left turn. I told him what happened that day was an exception and that he should please let me go with a warning, I am usually a very conscientious driver, I don't even use expletives or obscene gestures at such offenders. How many times do we absorb the mistakes of someone else on the road just to avoid something untoward from happenning? In the end, I told him " Hey it's the month end , you have to reach your target number of tickets, isn't it? Next time, try catching the real culprits and not penalizing marginal offenders who are right 99% of the time." He replied " It's not like that ma'am". I drove off thinking 'yeah right!' - late by 25 minutes.
Yesterday, yet again, got myself and DD ready to be on time for a meeting. Strapped her in her car seat , strapped myself into the driver's seat , put the key in its hole and turned to realize battery was dead long ago. No, it was not a slip on my part - no doors were shut improperly, no lights were left on. The battery of my 4.5 yr old car had led an eventful life, reached a ripe old age and died of natural causes the morning I wanted to get to work a little before a status meeting.  This fact was given to me by the AAA vehicle assistance person who I thought could jump start my car in 10 minutes. So, when it was made clear to me that the old battery would not be able to hold charge, that even if it could be jump started now, it'd die again whenever I'd turn off the engine and leave it for a few minutes, the decision was made to replace the battery. After the necessary procedure, upon his direction to try starting my car again, I turned the ignition on and the sound of my car whirring to life was the best audio I could have enjoyed , at that time. Paid $140 for the new battery, signed in a couple of forms and also volunteered to the gentleman that I'll gladly answer any survey about this service. As annoying and avoidable as they seem, I sometimes take these surveys and give the concerned person the best score possible, if I am pleased with the service. If it has been less than desirable or just bad, I don't answer the survey at all.  It may mean nothing to us, but probably for them customer feedback can go a long way in either direction. I reconciled with this setback, and got to work 40 minutes after the said meeting was supposed to start.
Why should I make any effort to be on time? Like a lecturer from P.U. days would exclaim - You are too early for the next class!

No comments:

Post a Comment