When you dance, your purpose is not to get to a certain place on the floor. It’s to enjoy each step along the way— Wayne Dyer


For the love of kick boxing

I have found an exercise activity that I enjoy doing - Turbo kick boxing! I enjoy the music, the moves and above all my guru - sach at 24 hr fitness. He is the reason I joined the gym again after a hiatus of almost two years after giving birth to my daughter. It's funny when I think - how I was a member of the gym for almost 3 odd years before I even conceived my daughter. At that time I'd go for 2 days and then not go for weeks or months together! Once in a while when DH would be looking at his bank account online, he'd bemoan paying up my monthly gym fee and would exclaim that he'd be feeling better doing charity instead! I'd then silently tie up my sneaker laces and chug up to work out. After a couple of days I'd slide off the routine. This story was repeating itself way too often. On occasions I did go, I'd only work on the treadmill and later on the ellipical. From my treadmill I always watched the group exercise classes going on through the glass walls of the exercise room. I never once felt that I should go and try one out, I cannot fathom why I didn't do that. After a really long time I once stepped into one of the classes - Turbo kick boxing by Sach. He was energetic and encouraging. I lasted for about 10 minutes and then, I had to rush to the back of the class to puff and pant for dear life on all fours! I went back a couple of times to that class and worked up my endurance to about 30 minutes. I liked how he was friendly and easy to approach. He always mindfully goes over the punches and kicks for the benefit of the one or two people in a sea of fifty, who are new to the class and to the activity itself. And he keeps a smiling face throughout the workout. But even that didn't spike my attendance at the gym. When I was about 4-5 months pregnant I cancelled my membership.
Now I 've joined again with the modest goal of going to kickboxing once every week, that's it. I have a two year old, I have to stealthily sneak out like a thief ( except that I am trying to exit the house and not the other way around). I don't feel good when I hear her searching for me while I am still in the garage. When she cries I feel selfish, evil! But I go! I have more things to do now as a working mother. It's hard, but I still go. On rare occasions I have also been able to go twice or sometimes even three times a week. I really really love the class. I have tried a few other classes too, but I keep concluding that this is my favourite. Sach makes it fun, he strikes a good balance and doesn't overdo it. His constant pushing by way of the verbal instructions and shout-outs makes the one hour just fly by. At the end of the hour I am sweaty, tired and sore, but blissfully so! Kickboxing is kicking my butt and I am loving it!

1 comment:

  1. Thangam, super again!

    Deeply touched by how you feel sneaking out without your daughter catching you - I can't relate to that, as my sons just wave my "Bye Bye!" when I leave the house - thought it was a good thing! :-(

    ReplyDelete