When you dance, your purpose is not to get to a certain place on the floor. It’s to enjoy each step along the way— Wayne Dyer


'me' time : Be careful what you wish for!

Went to kickboxing class yesterday after a break of about 3 1/2 months. And got some much deserved pelting. It feels like I have been hit by a train. I am supposed to have been kicking and boxing for a whole hour. But at the end I looked like I'd been at the receiving end of some kicking and boxing by some guy who has anger management issues, got nagged in the morning by his wife, missed lunch and had a couple of people cut him off in traffic later the same day.
 This reminded me of a Jillian Michaels exercise dvd that I once worked out with - 30 day Shred!  After reading a couple of reviews I ordered this dvd. The evening I came back home and saw it had been delivered, I popped it in and watched it while sipping coffee sitting on my couch. A few jumping jacks, some crunches, push ups, squats - all elementary school stuff, I remember thinking to myself. In fact I even doubted my decision to buy it.
Next morning I got ready at 7 am to work out along with the dvd. Boy!!!!! Jillian is the most evil, sadistic purveyor of pain there has ever been! The individual steps are carried out in fast succession. There is not a half a minute's rest between the different sets of exercises. Jillian actually says at a couple of instances -' I dare you to pick up that remote and press 'pause', keep going !'. The first time I saw her say that, I was taken aback in that shaky, sweaty state of mine. It was almost like she could see me reaching for my remote and was saying that in real time. Spooky! The squats are all done with dumb bells. These innocuous looking 5 lb weights can make you tear up when you are doing chest flies and such.  The abs, jumping jacks and squats - the circuit repeats itself at a dizzying pace. I was shredded in 30 mins not 30 days. I completed the 30 minute workout. But for 4 days after that, I was walking like I had fallen down in a stampede and ten people had run helter-skelter all over me! I couldn't climb stairs up or down ( both ways were painful!), I had difficulty sitting down and getting up, I struggled to lie down on the bed. And to see me get up from a lying position - turning and grovelling on hands and knees, even the most hard hearted person would have looked for a kleenex. Muscles that I didn't know existed were twisted out of shape. They were happy that they had been acknowledged finally, and I was writhing in pain. I spent those 4 days debating whether this one was a keeper because of the death blow it dealt me, meaning it'd definitely prove effective for weight loss or if and how I should go about trying to sue Ms.Michaels. I repeated the workout after a couple of months and paused the dvd in places where I had to. I wasn't left as sundered this time. I haven't paid Jillian and her workout-mates a third visit yet.
These and other thoughts were interrupted by the screeching sound of the garage door opening and I was glad to be home, back with my family. So much for 'me' time. It's just 'me getting whipped' time!

1 comment:

  1. I do 30 day shred as well - now up to level 2 - it's killer!! I too am in the healthy lifestyle, nutrition and exercise state of mind ;)

    ReplyDelete